Tuesday, November 8, 2016

DIY Travel Map

Since being PCS'd to GA, J and I have made it our personal mission to really explore our new state. Georgia is rich with history, it is day trip distance from mountains, the ocean, or farm land. It will never be home because it is not where my people are but I have really come to love living here. J loves maps, maybe one day I will share a picture of our study that is covered in maps from various places. I fell in love with decorating with map while browsing Pinterest one day. There are so many cool things you can do with maps. So this last weekend, while J is TDY, I decided to do a project to surprise him. Now I cannot wait for him to get home (like I needed a reason). 


Supplies you will need:

  • cork board squares
  • map (state, country, world)
  • Spray Adhesive
  • spray paint (optional)
  • map tacks
  • picture hangers
  • duct tape


I don't have a picture of the first couple of steps but I took the cork board squares and laid them out, it took 4 for my size map and duct taped them together. Then I placed the map on top and used it to draw a line where I needed to cut the excess cork off. At first I got scared because the cork doesn't exactly cut evenly but you cannot even tell. If you go slow with some sharp scissors it is not bad at all. I wanted my map tacks to be all the same color so I took the extra cork that I cut off and stuck all the tacks into it. As you can see by the stickers, H was helping :) 


Then I took everything outside (made H stay inside while I was spraying) and sprayed the spray adhesive to the cork board and very carefully placed the map. I used weights to make sure the edges stayed in place. I put the cork board with the tacks into an old box and sprayed the tacks with a few layers of spray paint. You are not supposed to handle the project with the spray adhesive for 3 hours after spraying it. So I said went to bed and said a little prayer that it wouldn't be messed with outside.


When I got up, I brought everything inside and started pinning the places we have been. What made this part easier is that I have been saving all the places on my google maps.


No comments:

Post a Comment